Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Raw Peach Cobbler

Yesterday, I suddenly remembered that I had an event to attend in the evening. I had several other things to do before I went, so I wouldn't have time to make what I had planned for dinner. I had some peaches thawing in the refrigerator that I had bought at a farmers market last summer, chopped and frozen for a future peach cobbler. I discovered that I had also frozen a batch of the crumbly topping for the cobbler. I mixed up the cobbler in about five minutes and put it in the dehydrator to warm while I did other things.

It made a wonderful dinner! I highly recommend stocking up on summer fruit for your freezer if you get the chance!

Raw Peach Cobbler

Filling:
8 medium peaches, pitted
12 medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Peel & chop 4 peaches into bite-sized chunks and set aside. Save the skins to add to the filling. Put the dates, cinnamon and 4 remaining peaches into a high-speed blender (Vita-mix, Blendtec) and blend well. Pour into a baking dish (9x13 or smaller) and stir in chopped peaches.

Crumbly topping:
1 1/4 c. raw nuts
3 or 4 medjool dates, pitted
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Process all except dates in food processor until crumbly. Add dates again & process until well broken up. Sprinkle on top of the cobbler filling.

This can be eaten right away or warmed for an hour in a dehydrator set at 130 F.

Freezing the chopped peaches beforehand makes them softer and it will be closer to a cooked peach texture. I like it either way. :)

4 comments:

  1. I made this tonight with blueberries, and it was very good! Thanks for posting it. So many recipes have a huge amount of nuts, more than I would like to eat at once, but this was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody - It IS good. Thanks!

    Jenni Smith - I'm glad you liked it! I love blueberries! Maybe I'll make that kind next...Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, i made this and even my SAD son who hates dates, loved it! He wants me to take it to a potluck this wknd :)

    I woke up this morning thinking about how you just had the stuff in your freezer! Before i went raw, my method was - what one of my cookbooks refers to as - freezer cooking. Having some bulk ingredients on hand frozen, and making bulk batches of some stuff to be frozen and used later -- spaghetti sauce, broth, etc.

    It sounds like you've applied that method to raw "cooking". Would you talk about that? What's in your freezer? :D What sorts of raw things do you regularly freeze to make daily life go more smoothly?

    (I have 15 lbs of peaches on my kitchen counter!!! :D)

    ReplyDelete